Monday 2 May 2011

HOME PROJECT: Lamp + Lampshade Up-cycle

I bought a new plain lampshade from the carboot today (for £1), we also had a broken hall lamp and I also had a rescued shade from another broken lamp so I felt it was definitely time for a bit of up-cycling.

I was also really inspired by the lamp make over in this before and after from The Shabby Nest:



























...and so wanted so do something similar using ribbons which I already had in my sewing box....

Here are the 3 project pieces at the start:






















So I set about doing them up...

First job was to paint the base of the plain dated lamp...

I used the same colour which I did for the 3 way mirror which I did the other day as this lamp will go next to it when its done. This already made such a difference and really cleaned it up.

Then I went on to fix the broken lampshade by gluing it back into place...




N.B. - through out everything I have done today I have just used standard wood glue as it was what I had in and it also has a very neat nozzle on it which made it fairly easy to keep the glue going where I wanted it to....



Then it was time to look at what ribbons I had available and start decorating. In each case I pinned the ones I liked on first to test out how they looked and then when I decided they were the ones I like I neatly folded the ends in and pinned and glued all the way round, then removing the sewing pins after each design had dried...
























I ended up with 3 results which I am really proud of and the most it cost me was £1 for the additional carboot lampshade which I bought today, everything else I already had, so pretty good going.

Here's my results...

From this:

To....
From this....



To this....
And from this....
To....

No comments:

Post a Comment